6.6.07

7

Registering for summer school while overseas is a difficult task, to say the least.

Today marks the end of our first week in South Asia. It's been an incredible trip. We're redefining the word "busy" but our time is well spent. Today also marks the beginning of my strike against tuna fish. After a second attempt, I've officially decided it just isn't the same here.

Thank you for your prayers and e-mails; my chest cold is disappearing and the parasite has not resurfaced. Today was the first day I wasn't dehydrated either. My team was jealous.

The guy across from me is playing excessively loud Indian music My American sense of privacy and personal space is going haywire.

We finally made it out to the village yesterday. Our first class was somewhat chaotic but the children are adorable. Today's session went smoothly and I thoroughly enjoyed the morning. While journaling this afternoon, I wrote a note about each child in my group and what I'm learning about them. I teach three to six-year-olds and despite their minimal English, I'm really discovering their personalities.

Our university class is going well. It is a new experience to study under Dr. Thom. More than anything, I appreciate our post-class discussions. I'm a sponge around him. We also had an excellent talk in his office while sorting through Sociology books. He knows how to get to the heart of matters and asks the right question. A very intuitive man, to say the least. I realize I am being vague, but I don't know how else to explain it. Those of you who preceded me on this trip will understand.

Memorable Quote: "Death, take one" - Joe, filming our auto-rickshaw ride

My thoughts end here. I'll leave you with a new fact I learned from my translator today. When my teaching partner and I distributed crayons and paper, we asked the children to draw a picture of anything. The woman hesitated to translate our statement and when we inquired as to why, she simply stated that the children do not know how to draw from their imagination- they must have an image to replicate. I'm still wondering why that is. A childhood without an imagination... hm.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

jeremy phillips said...

i'm glad you took my advice about dr. thom. he is amazing and i am completely jealous you are there with him. i can't wait to hear about what you learned from him.

also, the post-class discussions could be considered an andragogical learning experience.

_note: i learned the word andragogical from dr. thom. please inform him i am putting it to good use.

jules said...

i miss you, but i am soooo happy that you are getting to learn and think in a different country. that is such an amazing blessing.
youre in my prayers, love.